The sun is out and it's hot. Your pasty white skin and mole eyes can't stand the rays without SPF 55 and polarized Ray-Bans. Why even risk going outside? I think your dermatologist would agree.
I suggest you do some gaming. What's that, you say? You don't have $50 to spend on Shrek the Third
. Huh? Come again? You think that paying $60 for Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
is just silly?
We here at Lunabean HQ agree. That's why we've put together a list of the Top Ten Affordable Video Games. All of the games recommended are under $30, are fairly recent, are backwards compatible with the next-gens, and are a ton of fun.
Not only will this list relieve you of your summer gaming doldrums, it also prevents skin cancer!
So, without further adieu, here is Lunabean's Top 10 Affordable Video Games.
TEN: Kameo: Elements of Power
- $25.99 at Amazon
- Kameo Walkthrough
This Xbox 360 launch game, created by the revered developer, Rare, is fun and challenging. The hook in this game is the ability to change forms to solve puzzles and defeat enemies. It offers a good deal of gameplay and good replay value.
NINE: Tecmo Super Bowl
The rest of the list after the break
- $5 download via Wii Virtual Console
- Okay, I'll admit it. This is a selfish choice. I just love this game and could play it for
hours days on end. The simplicity of choosing from 8 plays, the inanity of launching 70+ yard passes, and the ridiculous stats of certain players (Barry Sanders and Jerry Rice...I'm looking in your direction) makes this game, well, magical. If you played this game as a kid, in college, or are simply interested in what football games were like pre-Madden, then this is $5 well spent.
Continue Article ↓
EIGHT: Hitman Trilogy (Blood Money, Contracts, Silent Assassin)
- $29.99 at Amazon
- Hitman Contracts Walkthrough, Hitman Blood Money Walkthrough
- Do you like taking out your target and not leaving a trace of your presence? Do you have what it takes to be a Silent Assassin three times over? Well, if you're a fan of 3rd Person action/stealth games and missed out on any of the Hitman games, then this is the perfect game pack for you. Released just this past week, Hitman Trilogy gives you three great games for only $29.99. This is a true bargain and provides hours upon hours of great gameplay.
SEVEN: Indigo Prophecy
- $12.99 - $17.99 used at various stores
- Indigo Prophecy Walkthrough
- One of the most under-appreciated games of the past few years, Indigo Prophecy tasks you with solving a murder from the perspective of two different cops; one male, one female. The game is intensely immersive and truly feels like you're playing a crime novel. If you're looking for something completely different than the normal gaming fare offered to you, then you should check out this game.
SIX: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
(Wii Virtual Console)
- $10 download via Wii Virtual Console
- To get one of the greatest games of all time for only $10 without having to leave your house. Could it get any better? If you skipped by this classic Zelda game then now is the time to play it. If you never played a Zelda game, this is the one to try, as all others since work in the same way. It's like a gateway drug. All your friends are doing it!
- $29.99 at Amazon
- Bully Walkthrough
- Another under-appreciated game in my opinion. In fact, this is one of my favorite games of the past few years. You play as Jimmy, the new kid at storied prep school, Bullworth Academy. This game has it all: classic cliques (jocks, geeks, greasers), the change in seasons (Halloween was awesome), and varied gameplay. You can think of it as Grand Theft Auto in prep school. The violent crimes and dirty language, however, are replaced by dirty pranks and minor swearing. I highly recommend this game.
FOUR: God of War
- $18.99 at Amazon
- God of War Walkthrough
- The game that started it all, God of War is a violent, bloody, over-the-top romp through ancient mythology. Playing as Kratos, a mortal on a quest for revenge, you must battle your way through legions of classic mythological characters and solve a few puzzles along the way, too. This game raised the bar for 3rd person action/adventure games, and for under $20, it's well worth owning.
THREE: LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy
(Xbox 360, PS2, PC)
- $17.99 - $19.99 at Amazon
- LEGO Star Wars II Walkthrough
- Coming off the success of LEGO Star Wars, LEGO Star Wars II continues the light, fun, and comical approach to the Star Wars series, allowing you to play through classic Star Wars moments as, well, LEGOs. The unique gameplay allows you to switch between two characters at any time, or have a friend/parent drop in/drop out as the second character at a moment's notice. Although this is one of the best kids games out there, it's also simply one of the best games. It will leave you with a smile on your face, and isn't that what games are supposed to do?
TWO: Tomb Raider Anniversary
(PS2, PC, PSP)
- $27.99 - $29.99 at Amazon
- Tomb Raider Anniversary Walkthrough
- Do you remember when video games were challenging? When you'd spend an hour-and-a-half on one jump, falling to your death over and over, and then finally making it. That feeling of frustration mixed with accomplishment is rare in today's rote and unoriginal games. Even if you played the original Tomb Raider you should play Tomb Raider Anniversary as the graphics and gameplay have been updated and there are a few surprises to be had. This game will remind you why you started playing games in the first place.
ONE: Resident Evil 4
(Wii, PS2, PC)
- $17.99 - $29.99 at Amazon
- Resident Evil 4 Walkthrough
- It simply doesn't get any better than this. Having played it now three times it's one of those games that gets better each time as you learn to appreciate the elements that make it so special. What this game has going for it is a perfect mix of tension, action, puzzle solving, pacing, music, inventory management, weapons/items upgrades, and a compelling story. Even if you've played it before, it's worth playing on the Wii due to the seemless inegration of the Wii Remote.