The numbers are in for video game sales for the month of May and they are good. Year over year, hardware + software sales climbed 49%, as opposed to a more tepid 20% rise in April.
Here are the highlights:
- Wii sold 338,000 units, the Xbox 360 sold 155,000 units and the PS3 sold 82,000 units.
- The DS sold 422,000 units.
- Nintendo had four of the top five software titles, led by Pokemon Diamond.
- Microsoft got the number 6 software slot with Forza Motorsport.
- Activision had two games on the top 10: Spider-Man 3 and Guitar Hero II.
- The only other independent publisher registering a game on the top 10? EA with Command & Conquer 3.
- Analysts suggest that the PS3 and Xbox 360 sales will pick up once there is a price drop. And, judging from sales, there needs to be a price drop to spur sales.
More numbers after the break
Continue Article ↓
And, here are the top ten US software titles for May:
- Pokemon Diamond - DS (Nintendo) - 331,000 units
- Mario Party 8 - Wii (Nintendo) - 314,000 units
- Spider-Man 3 - PS2 (Activision) - 249,000 units
- Pokemon Pearl - DS (Nintendo) - 238,000 units
- Wii Play - Wii (Nintendo) - 227,000 units
- Forza Motorsport 2 - Xbox 360 (Microsoft) - 217,000 units
- Guitar Hero II - Xbox 360 (Activision) - 184,000 units
- Spider-Man 3 - Xbox 360 (Activision) - 140,000 units
- Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars - Xbox 360 (Electronic Arts) - 138,000 units
- Guitar Hero II - PS2 (Activision) - 131,000 units