We play a lot of games here at Lunabean. Because of this we're well positioned to offer you our favorite five games of the year.
Keep in mind that we have a bit of a different outlook on games than the "mainstream" media. In other words, you won't find Halo 3 on our list.
Without further adieu, here is our list of games which debuted in 2007 that we think were the most fun to play.
5. Mass Effect (Xbox 360) - Although it's no KOTOR II the BioWare (developer) magic is still there. If you're not sure whether you like RPGs or not, this is a great game to try. It rewards you with a stunning story, emotional gameplay, and hours of extra exploring...if you're in to that sort of thing.
4. Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) - Arguably more of the same, in this case, that's not a bad thing. Metroid games do a great job of combining action, puzzle solving and exploring. It was also a ton of fun to play it on the Wii.
3. Mario Strikers Charged - This game makes the list simply because it's pure fun. Allison and I played this game non-stop for three days and could have kept playing if not for the whole "we need to run a business" thing.
2. BioShock (Xbox 360) - This game redefined storytelling and atmosphere in video games. The gameplay itself was fairly formulaic but when you're completely immersed in an underwater world (no pun intended) where things are just not quite right the gameplay could have consisted of shooting cans and I'd have been happy.
1. The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS) - Combining the old and new, using the DS in innovative ways, and well, the fact that it's a Zelda game pretty much makes this the best game of the year. Like a great book, this is the kind of game that you just didn't want to put down. If you don't have a DS, go get one and get this game!